Saturday, July 2, 2011

June Storm Pictures

Right now, it feels like the St. Louis summer has been one of these three on any given day:

1. Oppressively hot

2. Actually pretty nice

3. Stormy


Most of our storms have been either airmass (quick little pop ups) or linear systems that go by really quickly. However, we have had a few that decided to stick around for a bit, and on those storms, I was able to get some pretty nice pictures and video. These all happened at the end of the month. I hope you enjoy these!


Let's start off with Tuesday, June 21. Nothing too bad, just some really photogenic storms. There was a pretty nice lightning show with these storms, but it was mostly cloud to cloud. These storms came rolling in just at sunset, so I wasn't able to get the sharpest image. Still, I had to go for these shots!



Oh Mamma! Mammatus clouds to the south.




Same storm, just zoomed out a bit.




Next up is Saturday, June 25. A long line of storms set up across the area. There were some reports of high wind and 1" hail, but what really made this system impressive was all the lightning.



Sooooooo close to getting the most evasive shot in the weather world. I couldn't tell you if this was the beginning or end of the shot, but I had my camera aimed at the right place, and almost at the right time.



This lightning was impressive. Here is what our neighborhood looked like when lightning wasn't flashing.




Here's a shot of what the neighborhood liked while lightning was flashing. Looks like the middle of the day, but this shot was at 11:48 pm.


And of course, what would a lightning show be without some video? This video was shot just before I started taking pictures. I was indoors while shooting this. I was waiting for the lightning to be far enough away before I even thought of venturing outdoors for some photography. Earlier in the evening, we heard something get struck. Shortly after this video, something else nearby sounded like it got struck. After some time, I decided it was far enough away to go outside for photography. All that being said, enjoy the video.




Well, that's all I have for you this time. Hopefully, we'll get some more storms that decide they want to cooperate with the camera. Hope you enjoyed the pictures and video!

No comments:

Post a Comment